The Carrington Youth Fellowship Initiative (CYFI) seeks to develop a select group of young Nigerians into ethical and impactful leaders by connecting them with mentorship, networking, training and funding opportunities over the course of an intensive fellowship year. The CYFI fellowship is built around year-long social innovation projects that are designed by fellows and supported by the U.S. Consulate and private partners. Following successful completion of their projects, fellows remain involved with CYFI and the U.S. Consulate through the CYFI Alumni Program.
Former U.S. Ambassador to Nigeria, Walter Carrington, was a champion of civil liberties, democracy and closer ties between the U.S. and Nigeria. CYFI invites applications from fellows who are committed to putting the ideals of Walter Carrington into practice. The CYFI Board of Directors will select fellows who demonstrate the exceptional passion, skill, experience, strategic thinking and vision necessary to implement their own innovative and impactful projects.
- Implement concrete, youth-oriented solutions to issues that concern you
- Access U.S. Government resources and contacts
- Catch the attention of American and Nigerian leaders in the public and private sectors
- Work alongside talented and motivated peers with diverse backgrounds, but similar visions
- Participate in CYFI Alumni Program
- Teams of 2-4 fellows submit project proposals to the CYFI Board
- Projects should be achievable in scope and address a current issue in Nigeria
- CYFI Board supports fellows by working to connect them with resources and contacts
- Fellows work on their own time to implement projects
- End of year recognition ceremony for fellows
- Complete CYFI Project as part of 3-5 fellow project team
- Attend monthly project status meetings with CYFI Board of Directors
- Participate in roundtables, networking events, and teambuilding events
- Applications are taken online between November and January, annually
- Interviews follow at the US Consulate, Lagos
2018 FellowshipApplication for 2018 fellowship class is now closed.
Prospective fellows should note that all meetings and group work for CYFI project will be conducted in Lagos and Port Harcourt. Fellows who live outside of the greater Lagos and Port Harcourt metropolitan area and are unable to attend frequent meetings with their project teams and monthly meetings with the CYFI Board, in Lagos, will not be considered for the fellowship.